|June 17||Elementary Field Day (9:30 to 12:00)|
|June 18||Jr High: Late work deadline (all work assigned prior to June 5 will not be accepted after this date)|
|June 19||P-2 Trip to Subinacadie Wildlife Park|
|June 19||Lost and Found Deadline (all unclaimed items after this date will be given to charity)|
|June 22||Grade 7 Amazing Race|
|June 23||Poetry Showcase @ 11:00am|
|June 23||Celebration of Student Success @ 1:30pm|
|June 25||2-6 Trip to Shubie Park|
|June 25||Grade 8 & 9 Field Day (PM)|
|June 25||Grade 9 Dance (6:30pm to 9:00pm) @ the Banook Canoe Club|
|June 26/29||Assessment Days (No School)|
|June 30||Report Card Day (10:00am Dismissal)|
The Department of Education is developing new homework standards for students from grade primary – 12. A new provincial homework policy will help schools be more consistent in the type of homework students receive. It will also ensure that homework is directly connected to the work students are doing in class and tailored to an individual student’s age, grade and learning needs.
The department would like your feedback on a draft set of homework standards. We want to know if you agree with the standards, and if you think they will help make homework an activity that enriches students learning.
Please take some time to complete the following questions about the draft homework standards. This site will be active for you to provide input from May 19 to June 12, 2015. Input received through the consultation will help in the development of a final policy for implementation in September 2015.
The survey can be found by clicking here: Homework Survey
If you have any questions about the consultation process please contact Dianne Marshall (Dianne.Marshall@novascotia.ca or 902-424-3448).
THIRD TERM NEWS FOR GRADE 9 FAMILIES
- Exams will be held in English Language Arts, Social Studies, Science and Math in June. The exams are based on the work done since September 2014 and count for 10% of the year’s grade. Students will write in their homeroom classroom in the morning. A brief study period will be provided after morning attendance; the exam will start at 9:30 a.m. and will run until noon. Regular classes will resume in the afternoon.
Monday June 15 English Language Arts
Tuesday June 16 Social Studies
Wednesday June 17 Science
Thursday June 18 Mathematics*
*Students will need calculators for the math exam. They will NOT be allowed to use their cell phones as calculators for the exam.
- The Spring Fair has been scheduled for Saturday May 30 from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.. Home and School is looking for parents who are willing to help. Send an e-mail to Laura McAvoy – email@example.com – to offer your help.
- The Grade 9 dance has been set for Thursday June 25 at the Banook Canoe Club. A group of Grade 9 parents will be meeting soon to plan the dance. We will send an e-mail with time and date of the meeting so that all who are interested may attend.
- Grade 9’s have been invited to an orientation session at Dartmouth High. A date in May is yet to be determined.
- Course selection is complete. There should be a parent double-check on Power School to ensure accuracy. Contact Guidance if there are questions/concerns.
- Students may need a refill of their pens, pencils and loose leaf to make it to the end of June!
In the HRSB we are dedicated to providing a high quality education for every student every day. We’re committed to making every school a great school, but we can’t get to great without you. Your voluntary participation in this survey will help us to identify the strengths and challenges at your school, so we can do our part to enhance the opportunities every school holds for students to learn.
You can get to the survey by clicking on this link: Bicentennial Parent Survey
There is no school for students on Wednesday, April 22nd. Teachers will have professional development in the morning. Parent teacher interviews will be held from 1:30 to 3:30 and 6:00 to 8:00. Elementary interviews are by appointment and will be held downstairs in the classrooms. Jr. High interviews are on a first-come-first-serve basis, and will be held in the gym.